Monday, June 29, 2009
Saturday, June 27, 2009
I wish you could have seen more of this woman's ensemble. The denim miniskirt, the rhinestone belt, the plastic turquoise heels (and matching clutch), the fact that it said "Harley Davidson," on the front of the shirt, the burgundy lipstick drawn outside of the natural lip, the Baby Phat eyeglasses, the face eerily reminiscent of a bullfrog.
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Monday, June 22, 2009
- find an apartment in Brooklyn that will leave me enough income to buy the occasional food item.
- sublet my house in Nashville.
- beat the Valley Ghost House in Super Mario World.
- figure out how the hell I got a mosquito bite on the bottom of my foot.
- write a post about how wonderful my dad is, which I failed to do on father's day.
- complete a hefty stack of HR paperwork.
- celebrate the fact that in a couple of week I will have health insurance (who wants to go BASE jumping with me?).
- buy a capo for the banjo my dad loaned me to learn on.
- see as much live music as possible while still in Nashville.
- re-pack all of my earthly possessions.
- buy a hostess gift for my friend and her family, who are exceptionally nicely putting me up in their house in queens until I find a place.
- come to terms with the fact that I'm actually going to move to New York (notice I didn't say "becoming a New Yorker," I think we all know I'll never be that cool).
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Friday, June 19, 2009
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
- In the city of New York: check.
- Manicured nails: check.
- Rough draft of questions to ask interviewer: check.
- Directions to office via planes, trains, and automobiles: check.
- Change cell phone time to Eastern Standard Time from Central Standard Time so as not to be an hour late to interview: check.
- Hair straightener to tame wonky bang situation so as not to appear like the totally disheveled human being that I am: check.
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
- I don't know why so many of my blog entries are about travel. Jet setter I am not. But I am leaving tomorrow for New York so be prepared for "dear god, so many northerners on one island," posts. Sorry for not divulging too much about the job interview, I'm not trying to be cryptic, I just haven't even fully comprehended the situation myself so if I tried to write about in complete sentences I'd probably vomit.
- Went to the Centennial Sportsplex today and swam laps. Designer's Brew, I don't know how you do it. I swam eight laps and almost keeled over. It was so horrible I had to reward myself with a Sonic Strawberry Limeade afterwards. I don't know what they put in those things, opium maybe? They're so addicting. I'm serving Strawberry Limeade and samosas (the ones from an indian grocery store down here that are phenomenal) at my wedding.
- There is a tornado warning today. I haven't packed a stitch of clothing for tomorrow. And I am having a blepharitis flareup. That's right, blepharitis. It's this weird eye inflammation that I'm pretty sure god cursed me with because I find saying the name so hilarious. "You think my medical malady is a joke? I hope you enjoy it bitch!" Just kidding. God would never say bitch. I mean, I don't know, maybe he would, but regardless, it sucks ass and my eye is going to be all red and flaky for my interview. AWESOME.
- Kenny vs. Spenny on netflix=how I plan to spend the next three hours. While eating the most delicious lemon zucchini bread on the planet, which I made from this recipe. Go forth, bake, you won't regret it.
Monday, June 15, 2009
- It's summer. Blazers are sweaty.
- I run into the same problem a lot of women probably have, which is that I want to look attractive but NOT sexy. My body shape is more six-year-old-boy than sexpot, which is good, but I do have almost 40 inches of leg that needs to be accounted for.
- I feel like a stewardess in a suit. Not that there is anything wrong with suits or stewardesses, I just never feel comfortable in the whole shebang. Collared shirt and skirt=golden. Blazer and jeans, good to go. But when the blazer matches the skirt it hurts me. HURTS ME.
- Below is a shoddy blackberry photo of what I've got so far. Banana Republic suit, Kate Spade bag, and shoes from Ann Taylor I found on sale for like $20 that were exact replicas of these little darlings. What do you think?
Thursday, June 11, 2009
- Saw the documentary "Helvetica" today and I pretty much wet my pants with joy over the nerdiness of the font discussion. Seriously, it's amazing. If you enjoy listening to adorable, ancient German men talk about revolutionizing the world of typography then dear god go watch this movie.
- I'm going to New York next Wednesday for a job interview. What the fuck is up with that? Should probably diminish the use of the F word in future blog posts in case they cyber stalk me and find out I have the mouth of a sailor.
- A friend of my roommate's spent the night in our house on his way to Bonnarroo. He was coming in from LA and brought a friend from high school. That friend is my new arch nemesis. Anyone who walks into my house and immediately parks it on the couch to begin feverishly twittering is not really off to a good start. I mean, listen, I love my blackberry as much as the next person. I use the GPS to get me everywhere. But this boy was on a whole difficult level. We're talking semi-balding, beer belly, emo glasses, daddy's audi, and the propensity to say things like "Shia Lebeouf was at my new year's eve party." He was also addicted to pot but had the disposition of a chihuahua; who knew that was even possible?
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
I would love to spend the rest of the summer down here. It's warm, and smells good in my neighborhood and you can buy Sweetwater beers from Atlanta which aren't pasteurized and thus not distributed north of this city. But if I get offered this job I simply can not turn it down. The timing of this situation is ridiculous. I just bought a lawn mower for christ's sake. What am I going to do, go mow central park on the weekends? Anyways, I've managed to remain calm thus far, utilizing all sorts of "let it be," mantras and talismans. But I can feel a bit of a panic slowly rising in my chest. So far I've pushed it back down with face sized bagels and bags of doritos but it's pound to pop up sooner or later. At which point you should probably keep me away from the lawn mower.
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Yesterday I drove back to Lexington because my parents are flew to Italy today for their 25th wedding anniversary trip and someone needed to take my 14 year old brother to the orthodontist to have his braces removed. Well, there's more to the story but that's basically the gist. This is the same 14 year old brother who was cutting logs with a chainsaw on saturday and sliced his leg open, garnering him 19 stitches and enough bad ass cred to get him through the next three years of high school. So I've been playing nursemaid and delivery girl to his every teenage need (which, god bless him, is really not much, mostly oreos). Then my friend J and I made paintings of robots to hang in the nub hut. Because that's how grown up I am.
Friday, June 5, 2009
Today I did the following:
- completed 24% of Donkey Kong
- sent out approximately four thousand resumes to such awesome sounding jobs as "weekend receptionist"
- left the house only to get beer and fritos
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Okay, so I didn't die. I've just been in the process of moving and thus my ability to think clearly enough to write in complete sentences (or well thought out fragments) has been severely diminished. Now that I'm settled into Nub Hut, and Comcast has finally figured out how to install our internet, blogging will continue as scheduled.
Having said that, be prepared to read entries about things like "navigating your new grocery store is fun!" "are our neighbors using their porch light to spy on us? and "inflating mattresses, the new couch." Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go figure out how to adjust the thermostat (it has a stylus!), I'll be back tomorrow.